Chappell Guide Service's "Arizona Draw 101" Need to Know Info about the Draw
If you are inquiring about hunts & applying for a tag in the Arizona draw, we sincerely appreciate your interest in hunting with us. Here are a few things to know about how the Arizona draw works.
1. All elk tags must be drawn through the draw process. The application deadline for 2019 is Tuesday, February 12th at 11:59 PM Mountain Time. The online application will be available in mid January.
2. Non residents are limited to 10% of the tags. Bonus points increase an applicant's chance to draw a tag, but keep in mind that 1/2 of non resident tags are issued based on bonus points, and the other 1/2 are issued randomly. This means you can potentially draw a tag regardless of your bonus point total.
One bonus point is accumulated for each year that you apply and are unsuccessful in the draw. After 5 consecutive years of applying, a "loyalty" bonus point is earned. By completeting the Arizona Game & Fish Hunter Safety program, an additional, permanent bonus point is earned.
3. There are no "land owner" or "outfitter" tags in Arizona. So there is no way around the draw.
4. Arizona has a 5 choice system and a 3 phase draw, but it really all comes down to your first two choices on your application when applying for bull elk hunts.
5. Each year an applicant must purchase a hunting/fishing combo license to apply in the draw. This license is $160 for a non resident & there is a $15 application fee, so a total of $175 is paid to apply each year. IF you are drawn, then you are also charged $650 for the elk tag.
6. It is very hard to predict how long it will take to draw a tag since it depends on what hunt units are applied for, the season dates, and your weapon choice. As a rule, the hardest hunts to draw are rut hunts in premium hunt units whether they be archery, rifle, or muzzle loader hunts.
7. A change was made to the non resident side of the draw in 2016. Now half of the non resident tags are issued in the Bonus Point Phase of the draw & half of the potential non resident tags are issued in the random draw. This change opens up the opportunity for a non resident to potentially draw ANY tag on any given year!
8. Applying consistently with a good strategy is what will pay dividends for you in the draw. We thoroughly understand the draw and can offer you solid advice on what hunts to apply for based on several key factors!